Sure you’ll stick to POP/IMAP, I was just pointing out that this has nothing to do with the protocol(s)/server(s) used to access the emails (POP/IMAP), but rather with the SMTP server, which receives the emails and routes to the proper account. Again: having the localpart support (i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org being routed to the email@example.com account) is enabled by default in Postfix, works in GMail (who might be using Postfix themselves, of course, but we don’t know) and I assume might be enabled by default in most SMTP servers, so as well yours.
Our provider does not support the localpart option so we'll have to live with the catch all (and maybe some additional filters).
The above should either work or tell you that the provided credentials are wrong.
I'm 99.9% sure that I'm not making a mistake there. How can I figure out though whether CiviCRM thinks that they are not right?
The 403 HTTP errors mean the access is denied. Can you try visiting these URLs with your browser? (Note that the problem might be either due to webserver config or due to name/pass/key problems.)
The access to the directory should be granted properly. If I run the url in the browser, I come to the CiviCRM dashboard page without any additional notice/information displayed. It's basically the same page as if I would go to the dashboard page directly. That's why I was asking initially about how to figure out whether it's even doing anything.
The difference though between running it in the browser vs. running it with wget is that when I run it in the browser, there's not even an error in the Drupal status log. Whereas if I run the URL through wget it ends up in the log as "access denied".
No, the key should ‘just work’. The only thing I can think off the top of my head is some special chars escaping (a + in the pass or key will be treated as space after going through the web server, for example, and needs to be escaped to %2B), so it’s best if you can test with alphanumeric user/pass/key for starters.
All parameters (name, passwd, and key) are only alphanumeric, so I don't think there's anything that should be escaped.
Any ideas how I should go from here?EDIT:
Can it be that I'm executing the wrong URL?
If my dashboard's URL is "http://mysite.com/civicrm/dashboard?reset=1
", is the MailProcessor URL supposed to be "http://mysite.com/civicrm/bin/CiviMailProcessor.php?name=
<name>&pass=<pass>&key=<key>", or am I maybe screwing up the path/URL to the MailProcessor?EDIT II:
I checked my theory, and I was right. The path was wrong. The path has to be:http://mysite.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/bin/CiviMailProcessor.php?name=name&pass=pass&key=key
Now I'm getting the following response:
$ wget 'http://mysite.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/bin/CiviMailProcessor.php?name=name&pass=pass&key=key'
Resolving mysite.com... myip
Connecting to mysite.com|myip|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]
Saving to: `CiviMailProcessor.php?name=name&pass=pass&key=key.1'
[ <=> ] 1,414 --.-K/s in 0s
15:21:07 (70.4 MB/s) - `CiviMailProcessor.php?name=name&pass=pass&key=key.1' saved 
If I put the same URL into the browser now, I get the following response:
connecting to mymailserver.com, authenticating as firstname.lastname@example.org and selecting INBOX
mailboxes found: INBOX, Bulk Mail, Drafts, Email_Templates, Send_Later, Sent Items, Trash
Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'ezcMailTransportException' with message 'An error occured while sending or receiving mail. The IMAP server could not create mailbox 'INBOX/CiviMail/ignored': A0006 NO [ALERT] Folders cannot be created in a system folder.' in /sites/all/modules/civicrm/packages/ezc/Mail/src/transports/imap/imap_transport.php:746
I found this thread about a similar problem
, and I'm trying to work things out now ...EDIT III:
I figured it out!
The problem had actually nothing to do with the fact that the path 'INBOX/CiviMail/ignored' could not be found. I don't quite understand where this message is coming from. Cause when I created the path (case sensitive), the problem was still there.
So I went to Administer CiviCRM -> CiviMail -> Mail Accounts. In the settings of the account I'm using, the Source was empty. I didn't change it initially, cause it says that
Folder to poll from when using IMAP (will default to Inbox when empty), path to poll from when using Maildir, etc..
But the fact is, the it was pulling from "INBOX". So I put in "Inbox" for the source. When I ran the processor another time, everything worked out!
The path "Inbox/CiviMail/ignored" was created without any trouble, and so was "Inbox/CiviMail/processed". The emails were pulled and analyzed and everything seems to work.
I'm actually waiting for the results of the scripts running through a cron job, but I assume this will work out.
Thanks for the help Piotr.
PS: Maybe you want to make the wiki/manual a little bit more precise on this topic ...