I know this topic has been discussed in the path, but I'm hoping folks will oblige me with allowing a brief update on this subject.
I previously worked with a church where I implemented CiviCRM as the ChMS, but it was a fairly small church. I'm now working with a much larger church that currently uses Church Community Builder (CCB) and previously utilized F1. I'm considering whether a move to CiviCRM would make sense for us...and if so, I'd want to create an ecosystem around church / religious organizations usage.
What I'm looking to discover now is what already exists and who is using it. I'm hoping folks will take time to share the following:
1. The name of your church if you are using CiviCRM.
2. What significant changes you have made to CiviCRM to make it work for your church.
3. How long you have been using CiviCRM.
4. What other ChMS you have used previously and what features if any you wish where in CiviCRM that are not currently available.
Here is where I would see things going if we were to move to CiviCRM:
1. Setting aside annual budget currently utilized for paying licensing with CCB for ongoing custom development of CiviCRM customizations, especially as applicable to the church.
2. Publication of all customizations on GitHub / public website.
3. A public website with an overview of how CiviCRM is being used by churches, a starter guide for folks wanting to use CiviCRM for their church.
4. A customization extension that could be installed immediately after installing CiviCRM to make the most significant/common changes needed to CiviCRM rather than everyone performing the customization manually.
5. A Discourse forum for discussion of church related CiviCRM.
6. Potentially a conference on CiviCRM for the church on should there be the interest for such.
If you are aware of any church related CiviCRM resources, I'd love to hear about them. Here is what some quick research on my part turned up:Churches Using CCB
At this point it looks like two of the organizations that have heavy involvement in CiviCRM for church usage are the United Methods and Unity Churches.Articles on CiviCRM as ChMS